Coastal Georgia has a long history and, consequently, there are many interesting sites and stories.
* St. Simons Ghost Trolley Tour. Nightly through Labor Day, 8:30 PM (one-hour tour). $10 adults; $7 ages 12 and under. Tour leaves from foot of the Pier. Call 268-2016 for information. This ghostly evening will leave you watching your back…and hearing strange noises. Listen to some hair-raising tales from the Island’s past and other harrowing stories from points beyond.
* “A Private Evening at the Museum.” Tours at 6 PM Saturdays. Ticket price $20. Reservations required. Tour convenes at the museum; get directions when you make your reservation. Call 268-2016 for information. The former St. Simons home of renowned, multi-media artist, Mildred Huie is now a museum filled with an eclectic mix of paintings, artifacts, plantation models, historical documents, and “silent partners” – life sized, parlor dolls that watch over everything. Join us for a private after-hours tour of this unique museum, followed by Harry’s tales of not-quite-departed early island residents, and strange, unexplained events from around the globe.
*Arrange for private van or walking tours. Call 268-20316 for information.
* Historic Tours Downtown. “Discover the Heart of Old Town Brunswick.” City Tour, 9:30 to 11 AM, leaves from Daddy Cate’s on Gloucester Street and includes a complimentary cup of coffee and entrance into two historic properties. Residential Tour, 4 to 5:30 PM, leaves from Hanover Square and includes a beverage stop at a historic property and entrance to a historic church. Each tour is $15, or a combination of both tours for $25. For information and reservations, call 262-06289 or 614-0628.
* Daily, 11 AM (approximately 90 minutes) – St. Simons Trolley Tours. Overview of St. Simons history and sites. Adults $22, children 4 to 12 $10. Reservations not required. Leaves from near the Pier at the end of Mallery Street. Information 638-8954.
* Daily in season – Hop’N’Go Service by Lighthouse Trolleys. Runs a route which serves several of the points of interest and hotels from the Sea Palms Conference Center south, including the Village, King and Prince and the Maritime Museum at the Coast Guard Beach. $5 for a round trip or $10 for a full day pass. Information 638-3333.
* Daily, Jekyll Island Historic District Tours – Choices include: walking guided tour (learn about Jekyll Island Club members, families, and employees in historic cottage guided tour), adults &6, children 6 to 12 $3, under 6 free; self-guided tour, includes walking guide map and rental of interactive multi-media device, $8 for rental; and guided tram tour through Historic District and two cottages, adults &16, children 6 to 12 $7, under 6 free. Tours start from Jekyll Island Museum. For information, call: 635-4036.