There are a number (and the number is growing) of fine galleries on St. Simons and in the Golden Isles. These galleries exhibit a variety of visual art, including paintings, photography, pottery, sculpture, etc. Most of the exhibits run for one to two months. Many galleries also host a reception or other event in connection with the opening of a new exhibit. Where we can, we include these events in the Calendar.
* Glynn Art Association, Visual Arts Center, 529 Beachview Drive, across the street from Postell Park (at the Casino) where many art and craft festivals are held. The Associations sponsors arts festivals and classes, along with the annual Plein Air program, and has a satellite facility in the Mall (see next entry). Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday 9 AM to 5 PM. For information, call 638-8770.
* Glynn Art Association Glynn Place Mall Arts Center. More information forthcoming.
* Art Downtown Theatre Gallery, 1413 Newcastle Street. The gallery is open to the public Thursday and Friday 11 AM to 5:30 PM and Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM, or by appointment. The Gallery is adjacent to the Brunswick Actors’ Theatre, which offers many entertaining plays. The Gallery also is responsible for several art festivals at Postell Park on St. Simons Island, working with the Pier Village Merchants’ Association. For information call 262-0628.
* Left Bank Art Gallery, 3600 Frederica Road. Gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 AM to 6 PM. For information, call 638-3017 or 800-336-9469
* Old Jail Art Center and Museum, Darien. If you haven’t been there before, the old jail is itself worth the trip. It was used as a jail until fairly recently. In particular, note the historical displays about Darien and McIntosh County. Gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM. McIntosh Art Association. For information call 437-7711.
* Anderson Fine Art Gallery, 3309 Frederica Road. The gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM until 4 PM. 634-8414.
* Goodyear Cottage, Jekyll Island, in the Historic District. The Gallery is the venue for display of works by the Jekyll Island Art Association, and participates in several exhibits each year.
* Ritz Theatre, 1530 Newcastle Street, Brunswick. Various artists are exhibited in the lobby. Tuesday through Friday 9 AM to 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM to 2 PM. Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Association. 262-6934.
* Moore Methodist Museum, Epworth-by-the-Sea, 100 Arthur J. Moore Drive. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 AM to 4 PM. 638-4050.
* A. W. Jones Heritage Center Exhibition Hall, 610 Beachview Drive (next to the Lighthouse). Open Monday through Saturday, 10 AM to 5 PM, Sunday 1:30 to 5 PM. 638-4666.
* Brunswick Library, 208 Gloucester Street, Brunswick. Hours are: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday 9:30 AM to 5 PM; Tuesday and Thursday 9:30 AM to 8 PM.
* Southeast Georgia Health System, Outpatient Care Center Art Gallery. Various artists are exhibited in the lobby. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM, Saturday 9 AM to 1 PM.